Indian Wells Picks 3-10-2012 (Now Compared to the Actual Results)

Posted: March 10, 2012 by Dan Martin in Indian Wells, Tennis Picks, Tennis Predictions
Tags: , ,

Obviously, there are a glut of matches today and tomorrow in the desert.  Here are my quick picks (Winners in Bold):

Gilles Simon (13) vs. Dudi Sela

Andy Murray (4) vs. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez

Kevin Anderson (29) vs. Philipp Kohlschreiber

Viktor Troicki (25) vs. Ryan Harrison – This one could go either way, but I think Harrison may have a few bumps on his climb up the rankings ladder.

Kei Nishikori (17) vs. Santiago Giraldo

John Isner (11) vs. Frederico Gil

Novak Djokovic (1) vs. Andrey Golubev

Andy Roddick (30) vs. Lukasz Kubot – I think Roddick rides whatever momentum an exhibition can provide.

Mardy Fish (8) vs. Andreas Seppi – Davis Cup seems a long time ago for both Fish and Isner, but I think Fish rebounds a bit in Indian Wells.

Juan Monaco (22) vs. Nicolas Mahut – This could go either way, and these are two of the easier players to pull for on tour.

Florian Mayer (18) vs. Pablo Andujar – Throwing in an upset

Julien Benneteau (32) vs. Matthew Ebden

Nicolas Almagro (12) vs. Sam Querrey – Almagro is playing well enough that I think he is a roadblock to Sam’s comeback path.

Richard Gasquet (16) vs. Albert RamosI am not sure that Gasquet will lose here, but I think he fails to live up to his seeding so I am picking against him early.

Tomas Berdych (7) vs. Sergiy Stakhovsky
Stanislas Wawrinka (23) vs. Robby Ginepri – I like Stan and Robby, but I think Stan has too much game, but it is nice to Ginepri back in the mix.

So far I have only missed on two (one being a walk-over).  11 out of 13 so far

Comments
  1. jeanius0515 says:

Dan-
    I think there are several good women’s matches today, too. I’ll go with Ivanovic over Larssen, Wozniacki over Makarova, and Sharapova over Dulko.

• Dan Martin says:

Jeanius – I thought the WTA had a really good year last year and Australia set up an interesting year this year. I will post picks for the Women’s Side as the event progresses, but I have to plead some ignorance on many of the players in the early rounds and felt making picks on insufficient info was a bad idea. Your picks look good. I need to just follow the WTA more than I have the past few years to catch up.

• jeanius0515 says:

Dan-
        You should definitly follow the WTA. It’s in a state of flux, which is what makes it so interesting right now. Because of all the injuries and the absence of the top players– Williams, Clijsters, and now Kvitova, and some others– we are seeing lots of new names and slow-rising players who are beginning to do well, such as Julia Goerges. And about Agnieszka Radwansksa? There was a time when the two Radwanska sisters were known only because there were 2 of them. At the same time, some of the stalwarts seem to be cooling off: Vera Zvonereva, Wozniacki, Schiavone. Bartoli and Jankovic are two who are very interesting to watch. Bartoli has has a bit of a resurgence, and Jankovic kind of bounces around with a few wins and disappointing losses. I have always been an Ivanovic fan. She occasionally has flashes of her old self, but has essentially dropped out of any important conversation.

In concludsion, Would Azarenka be where she is if the injured players were playing? I don;t think so.

• Dan Martin says:

I agree I think the WTA is in a good spot.

2. jane says:

hi dan, hope you’re wrong about gasquet and querrey. :)

• Dan Martin says:

I love Gasquet’s game, but he has frustrated me so many times. I hope I am wrong too. Sam is a good story to follow, and I think he can win. I just think Sam may need a little more time.