A Few Quick Hits Ahead of a Jam Packed Week of Tennis
- Ivo Karlovic is the all-time ace leader on the ATP Tour. He just captured the Hall of Fame title in Newport, RI. I don’t think he will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame, but he’s had a hell of a career given that he first became a known commodity when he upset Lleyton Hewitt in the first round of Wimbledon 2003.
- Ivo’s Croatian compatriots pulled off an unexpected comeback in Davis Cup. The US led 2-0 after Jack Sock rallied from two sets down versus Marin Cilic and John Isner beat Borna Coric. The Bryan Twins have seen their results decline recently, but everyone had to expect they would win the 3rd point and the US would beat Croatia with surprising ease. Instead, the Croatians won the doubles point and both reverse singles points to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
- Simona Halep grabbed a title in Bucharest by handing out a double bagel. Perhaps, Halep is headed for a big summer.
- Albert Ramos Vinolas and Martin Klizan claimed title despite me picking their opponents to win (The Tennis Abides curse?).
- Washington, DC and a host of other events will be played this week as the schedule is crowded due to the Rio Olympic Games on the horizon.