Dimitrov, the moment of victory in Sofia. pic.twitter.com/pM0vbNkIEP
— Stroppa Del (@stroppadel) February 12, 2017
- Grigor Dimitrov claimed his second title of 2017 by defeating David Goffin in Bulgaria. Dimitrov’s only 2017 loss was an instant classic 5 set battle with Rafael Nadal. Grigor has 2017 wins over Dominic Thiem, Kei Nishikori, Milos Raonic, Richard Gasquet, and David Goffin (2X). At 25, Dimitrov is in good health and has a lot of momentum in the early stages of this tennis season.
Decent day (and week) to be Alexander Zverev. pic.twitter.com/Jy3xpUlsX4
— José Morgado (@josemorgado) February 12, 2017
- Alexander “Sascha” Zverev also pushed Rafael Nadal to 5 sets in Australia. Zverev beat Richard Gasquet in the final and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semifinal of Montpellier. Zverev also grabbed the doubles title playing alongside his brother.
- Viktor Estrella Burgos grabbed the Quito title by winning a third set tiebreak.
- I noted after the Australian Open concluded that Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal were unlikely to be huge factors on tour through Indian Wells at a minimum. This trend will likely continue for Nadal until the European clay court season begins and for Federer until the grass court season commences. The best news for the ATP Tour is that Dimitrov and Zverev seem to be carrying momentum forward.
- The USTA gave a singer a set of lyrics to the German national anthem that included verses from the Nazi era. International sporting competition often includes expressions of goodwill and peace. This was a terrible error. I am not sure what else to say about the matter.