US Open 2013: Day 7 Men’s Predictions

Predicted Winners in Bold

Third Round
Novak Djokovic (1) vs. Joao Sousa – Nole should roll.

Djokovic should advance
Djokovic should advance

Tim Smyczek vs. Marcel Granollers – And then there were none … US men are eliminated from the singles draw.  The USTA should be a touch worried about the state of the men’s game.

Andy Murray (3) vs. Florian Mayer – The defending champion moves forward.

Stanislas Wawrinka (9) vs. Marcos Baghdatis – Stan plays his 3rd quality opponent in a row and wins for the third time.

Andreas Seppi (20) vs. Denis Istomin – Mild upset

Evgeny Donskoy vs. Lleyton Hewitt – I hope that court 17 has a few Aussies in attendance.

Tomas Berdych (5) vs. Julien Benneteau (31) – The Big Czech should win, but Benneteau is no slouch.

Tommy Haas (12) vs. Mikhail Youzhny (21) – This is a great match.  I am picking Haas due to better consistency in 2013, but either man can win and cause trouble in the round of 16.

10 Comments Add yours

1. Ben says:

I’m not so sure about Baghdatis wawrinka. Baghy crushed Kevin Anderson out of nowhere in the previous round.

1. Dan Martin says:

I could seethat go either way, but my thought is that Baghy is inconsistent so one good match followed by one bad match.

2. jane says:

I agree with your picks overall Dan. I would’ve thought like Ben re: Baggy/Wawa but I see Wawa is up 2 sets to 1. Mind you Baggy has a break in the 4th set so this could go 5 sets, in which case it’s anyone’s game.

3. Mike Swanquis says:

Some mystical force keeps pitting Istomic and Seppi against each other in Grand Slams…and I would venture that I’m the only person outside of their two camps who has noticed!

1. Dan Martin says:

Funny … in how many majors have they met?

1. Mike Swanquis says:

Er, IstomiN, of course…and that makes 4 of the past 6 Slams (1st rounds of Wimbledon ’12 and ’13, 2nd round of Aussie ’13 and 3rd round here…and now I think they’ve each won two of those match-ups).

2. Dan Martin says:

That is crazy – bad for each of them in a way

3. Mike Swanquis says:

I cut and pasted that and sent it to Wertheim, so a Tennis Abides comment got recycled in the SI mailbag. Told you this was a trend-setter!

4. Dan Martin says: