- Novak Djokovic is still #2 in my Power Rankings (I doubt he cares) and will be #2 in the computer on Monday. Still, Novak has said the right things since the US Open and beat a less than sharp Nadal in straight sets. Still, if Nole is willing to match Rafa’s toughness, I think he can reverse the rankings in 2014.
- Serena Williams has won 10 tournaments to this point in 2013. Serena is controlling the WTA at the moment. I am not sure who outside of Vika can even give her a match at the moment let alone beat her.
- JMDP’s win in Tokyo may have helped him push past any lingering doubts from his Cincinnati implosion vs. Isner. Delpo even double faulted on his first match points. JMDP’s experience guided him past Raonic.
- Rafael Nadal may want to take a rest. He has produced a wonderful 2013, but if he fails to rest some before 2014, the Australian Open may be out of reach.
- Milos Raonic has played the best tennis of his career as of late. He needs to take his game to another level still but it is nice to see a younger player collecting wins and points. His level of play was not as high during the first set breaker and when serving at 5-5 in the second set. If Raonic can find a way to maintain his level of play at the most crucial points of a tournament or a match, he can begin to contend for Masters 1000 crowns. From there, who knows?