- Serena Williams is obviously the favorite on paper when playing on grass. I think she will face some adversity in this event.
- Serena and Maria Sharapova being in the same quarter is not ideal for either player.
- Eugenie Bouchard is aiming for her 3rd consecutive Grand Slam semifinal. She could cause issues for anyone including Serena if that match comes into existence.
- Bottom Line: If Williams is healthy and not rusty, she should advance due to both her acumen for grass and her lopsided record versus Sharapova.
Simona Halep’s Quarter
- This is a deep quarter.
- Simona Halep is not a traditional grass court player, but her ability to move gives her the chance to reach the semifinal round.
- Sabine Lisicki has to feel some unfinished business exists in London.
- Ana Ivanovic recently won a warm-up event on grass and has slowly been rebuilding some of her clout on tour in the past 12-18 months.
- Carla Suarez Navarro has great variety and played well in Paris.
- Roberta Vinci’s all–court game and Vera Zvonareva’s past success make them dangerous members of this quarter.
- Jelena Jankovic is always hanging around, but for whatever reason I don’t see her getting past the quarters if she gets that far.
- Bottom Line: This section of the draw includes two Wimbledon runner-ups, a few former #1s, and one of the most consistent performers on tour who just had a near miss in the Roland Garros final. I could see many players coming through, but Ivanovic’s solid play in Melbourne and just having won a grass court event makes me think she is the slight favorite to reach the semifinal round from this quarter.
- Radwanska has to feel unfinished business exists in London, but her level of play seems to have dipped in 2014.
- Vika is healthy enough to play, but what can be expected beyond that?
- Kuznetsova is a dangerous veteran, but grass has never been her strongest surface.
- Sara Errani’s doubles acumen could be an asset.
- Dominika Cibulkova could make another deep Grand Slam run in part because this draw is not terribly tough.
- Garbine Marguza has talent and hits through the court. She could come through.
- Bottom Line: This is a draw someone can blast through as it is not terribly imposing. I think if Vika is healthy and starts playing with house money as not expectations really exist she could come through. However, I think Dominika Cibulkova is the slightest of favorites to come through this quarter.
Na Li’s Quarter
- Na Li seems to be suffering from a confidence issue. I don’t expect to see her in the semis despite Li having a lot of game.
- Sam Stosur has the athleticism to do some damage, but her stroke production is not ideal for grass.
- Caroline Wozniacki could write a nice comeback story with a deep run here.
- Maria Kirilenko and Sloane Stephens may have the most interesting first round match in the draw.
- Venus Williams and her 5 titles could make her a a dangerous floater.
- Petra Kvitova if healthy and confident could obviously do well, but these are two big ifs.
- Bottom Line: If Wozniacki rediscovers her consistency, that may be enough to reach the semifinal round. Still, I think weapons will be needed to win five matches in a row. Against all logic and because I have to pick someone, I think Petra Kvitova reaches the semifinal round.