Predicted Winners in BOLD
Dustin Brown VS Thomaz Bellucci – I think the home court edge will be big in this match. Also, the slow surface hurts Dreddy’s attacking style.
Viktor Troicki VS (2) Andy Murray – Andy can beat this Serbian player in Rio. Can he beat the other?
(1) Novak Djokovic VS Juan Martin del Potro – A 2012 bronze medal rematch that I think ends with a different result. JMDP could hit through this slow surface and eat up the high bounces, but the courts in Australia are generally slow with high bounces. Novak is a six-time Australian Open champion.
(3) Rafael Nadal VS Federico Delbonis – Rafa seems to be chomping at the bit to get back on the court.
(7) David Ferrer VS Denis Istomin – I think Ferrer wins, but David’s best days seem to be behind him on tour.
Rogerio Dutra Silva VS (WC) Thomas Fabbiano
(WC) Sam Groth VS (8) David Goffin – Groth has a puncher’s chance, but I think Goffin wins pretty easily.
(16) Benoit Paire VS Lukas Rosol – Rosol could pull this mild upset.
(11) Pablo Cuevas VS Nikoloz Basilashvili
(10) Roberto Bautista Agut VS Andrey Kuznetsov – I love Bautista Agut’s fight.
Joao Sousa VS Robin Haase
(WC) Radu Albot VS Teymuraz Gabashvili
Yen-Hsun Lu VS Paolo Lorenzi – I typically fail with my picks involving Lu.
Fabio Fognini VS Victor Estrella Burgos – Fognini played well in the post Wimbledon clay court swing.
Gilles Muller VS Jerzy Janowicz – Jerzy could really use a win. His career since Wimbledon 2013 has been a narrative of decline. I think Muller’s solid play in 2016 is more than enough of a reason to pick him. The slower surface probably favors Jerzy so I think this could be a little closer than their rankings and recent play might suggest.