Six titles in the past year ain't bad.
— Western & Southern Open (@CincyTennis) January 12, 2019
Women’s Singles Draw
- Simona Halep may be the #1 seed, but she got a brutal draw. If Halep reaches the semifinals, her confidence should be sky high, but many obstacles loom.
- A Naomi Osaka – Serena Williams re-match could very well be in the cards for the semifinal round.
- Angelique Kerber has a nicely manageable draw. Caroline Wozniacki could stage a battle of Aussie Champions with Kerber in the semifinal round.
- Petra Kvitova has momentum heading into the maiden 2019 slam.
- Sloane Stephens, Victoria Azarenka, and Garbine Mugaruza are all capable of winning this event even if their on resumes are not packed with recent successes.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 12, 2019
Men’s Singles Draw
- Novak Djokovic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the second round could turn the clock back to 2008.
- Andy Murray faces a tough player with a ton of momentum in Roberto Bautista Agut.
- Rafael Nadal has a nice path to the semifinal round.
- If Dominic Thiem has properly adjusted to rebound ace, he is a player who seems physically ready to go 7 matches. Being in Djokovic’s half of the draw does not help Thiem though.
- Roger Federer and Stefanos Tsitsipas could stage a generational battle.
- Many intriguing first round matches should get the tournament off to a great start.